St Mary Magdalene, Whipsnade
|South West Bedfordshire|
At Whipsnade is the Whipsnade Tree Cathedral, and the famous ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
An earlier recorded version of the name, in 1430, was Wypsnad(e).
The parish church is St Mary Magdalene. This is one of the earliest brick churches in the country. It is in a peaceful setting on the edge of the village green. It is essentially of the 18th century, but has a 19th-century apse.
Near the village
Whipsnade Park Golf Club is nearby, between here and Dagnall.
Whipsnade Zoo is close by the village, a zoological garden managed by the Zoological Society of London, who own London Zoo. A hill figure can be found in the hills shaped like a lion, a figure carved for Whipsnade Zoo. During the Second World War, this chalk image (on Bison Hill) was covered with a black sheet in order not to attract attention from the German bombers.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|