Strachan village, view looking west
|W. Aberdeenshire & Kincardine|
Strachan (pronounced 'Strawn') is a village and parish in Kincardineshire that lies along the Water of Feugh, a tributary of the River Dee, a few miles south-west of Banchory. The parish extends to the borders of Aberdeenshire and Angus.
The village of Strachan is located in the Grampian Highlands of Scotland, about 20 miles south-west of Aberdeen. Its name is derived from the Scottish Gaelic word ‘’strath’’ meaning broad valley, and "Aan" pronounced "awn" like lawn.
To the north-east of the village is Scolty Hill, best known for the 60-ft-tall tower monument, built in 1840 as a memorial to General Burnett who fought alongside the Duke of Wellington.
- "Pronunciation of Strachan and Etymology". Clan Strachan Society. http://www.clanstrachan.org/history/pronunciations. Retrieved 23 November 2014.
- Strachan in the '[Gazetteer for Scotland
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
This Kincardineshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.