St Luke's Church, Stoke Hammond
|Post town:||MILTON KEYNES|
The village was first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Stoche: a common place name in England denoting an enclosure or farm. The suffix "Hammond" was added later in manorial records though it refers to the family who owned the estate at the time of the Domesday survey. Hamon Brito, son of Mainfelin Brito, was the owner of the manor of Stoke in the 12th century.
The manor later passed into the ownership of the Duke of Norfolk; the family still owned it at the end of the Victorian era. The Disney family, apparently related to the illustrator Walt Disney, was also at one time an influential family in the parish.
The parish church is dedicated to St Luke. There is also a Methodist Chapel, built in 1927.
The A4146 road passed through the village until the new bypass opened on 14 September 2007.
The Grand Union Canal passes close by the village.
This is one of the few Thankful Villages, those which lost no men in the First World War, as first identified by the writer Arthur Mee in the 1930s. It the only such village in the county.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Stoke Hammond)