The Stanhope Arms (left), Stanhope Street
Stanton-by-Dale is a village in the south-east of Derbyshire. It is to be found to the south of Ilkeston and north of Sandiacre, halfway between the cities of Derby and Nottingham: seven miles, as the crow flies, from each city.
The name 'Stanton' is believed to derive from stone quarrying in the area.
The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 505.
The village appears in the Domesday Book of 1086.
During the 13th and 14th centuries the church and much land in the parish was owned by nearby Dale Abbey. After its dissolution in 1538, the Abbey's property in Stanton was granted to the Babington family. In Elizabethan times, this was sold on to Michael Willoughby of Risley. Many local buildings contain stone which originated as part of the Abbey.
St Michael's Church dates from about 1300, although it is not certain whether there was an earlier church on this site. The tower is fifteenth century.
Stanton and the Ironworks
Earl Stanhope became Lord of the Manor in the eighteenth century, eventually selling the parish to the Stanton Ironworks Company.
Only workers at the ironworks, the major local employer which dominated the area for over two centuries, were allowed to live in Stanton-owned properties. In later years these houses were all painted 'Stanton Green', a colour still evident in the village.
Stanton Ironworks became an international company as Stanton & Staveley, was nationalised as part of British Steel Corporation, de-nationalised and sold eventually to the French Saint-Gobain company. Production ceased at the works in 2007. It is commemorated throughout Britain and further afield by the many thousands of manhole covers and concrete street lamp standards bearing the words 'Stanton' or 'Stanton and Staveley'.
- Cricket: Stanton-by-Dale Cricket Club. There is a report of a game between Stanton-by-Dale and Sandiacre dating back to 1848.
- Golf: Erewash Valley Golf Club, founded in 1905. It is an 18 hole course set in 165 acres of prime parkland.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- The History of Cricket in Long Eaton, Sandiacre & Sawley, 1994, Keith Breakwell. ISBN 978-0-9521-4371-0