Situated seven miles west of Nottingham and nine miles east of Derby, Sandiacre is considered part of the "Greater Nottingham" urban area, and is just on the western side of the River Erewash from Stapleford in Nottinghamshire. Sandiacre is neighboured by Long Eaton to the south and Risley to the west. The M1 motorway tears through, and its Junction 25 with the A52 road is here.
It is not all modernity and concrete here; it is an old village with plenty of well-bedded-in places.. The old village lock-up still stands, sitting near to St Giles, though unsed in this day and age.
The parish church is Saint Giles Church, which dates back to the 10th century.
There is also a Methodist church in the town.
History and about the town
The Erewash Canal passes through the centre of Sandiacre, and the small basin immediately above Sandiacre Lock (No. 11 on the canal) was once the terminal link of the now-defunct Derby Canal.
Next to the canal in the town centre is the Springfield Mill, built in 1888 as a lace mill and a reminder of Sandiacre's industrial heritage, now converted into a modern apartment complex. Examples of lace making, engineering and furniture making can still be found today.
The discovery of local ironstone led to the development of Stanton Ironworks in 1787. The EWS Toton depot, which lies on the edge of Sandiacre, was a main employer in the town a number of years ago.
Although there is currently no railway station, the town was once a terminus on the Midland Railway and passenger trains travelling on the St Pancras - Manchester Piccadilly line still passed along the border with Stapleford during 2003-2004.
Transport links to Nottingham, Derby and the surrounding area are currently provided by Trent Barton.
- Cricket: Sandiacre Town Cricket Club
- Football: Sandiacre Town FC play at St Giles' Park