Staining is a village in Lancashire, in the Amounderness Hundred and on a coastal plain of the Fylde. The village is close to the seaside resorts of Blackpool and St Annes on Sea, as well as the market town of Poulton-le-Fylde.
In the 2001 Census, the parish had a population of 2,312.
Historically, the village was part of the township of Hardhorn-with-Newton. Newton is but a hamlet and bundled up within the civil parish of Staining, while Hardhorn has been sent off to be governed by Poulton-le-Fylde.
Immediately south of Staining is Marton Mere, a Site of Special Scientific Interest.
At the time of the Norman Conquest, Staining was in the possession of Earl Tostig, the brother of the briefly reigning King Harold II (Harold Godwinson). Tostig was slain at the Battle of Stamford Bridge in battle against his own brother and his lands were seized by the Normans.
Between 1069 and 1086 William the Conqueror gave Amounderness to Anglo-Norman baron Roger the Poitevin. Staining is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Staininghe. The village was estimated in that survey to contain six carucates of land.
St Luke's Church was built in 1865. It is in the Diocese of Blackburn.
The church's origin is in a chapel built here in 1865, with a school also. Around 1895, the chapel became St Luke's Church.
This Church is an important part of village life. The tower of the Church has five crenulations.
Sights of the village
Staining Windmill was probably built in the late 18th century. It is white, constructed of rendered brick and has a wooden cap. It has been designated a Grade II listed building by English Heritage. It features on the village flag.
It is believed that a retired ship’s captain built the mill in 1715, and it worked grinding grain until 1923. In 1980 it was converted into a house but is still complete with working sails.
Staining Millennium Recreation Field is a Queen Elizabeth II Field.
In 2013, the village adopted a flag of its own.
The main colour of the flag is blue, used by the local school and football teams. The main motifs are a windmill and a plough. The Staining Windmill is the village's most prominent landmark, still complete if not set to work. The plough recalls agricualture but also the village pub, The Plough, opened in 1810 then in a farmhouse when its licence was obtained and standing at the crossroads in the village's heart.
The centre of the flag has a Celtic Cross, also known as a St Luke's Cross, to stand for the church at the heart of village life. The five rectangles crossing the flag recall the crenulations on its tower.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Amounderness hundred – A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7 (1912)}}
- Gooderson (1980), p. 36
- Porter (1876)]], p. 292
- "Staining Windmill, Mill Lane", Heritage Gateway (English Heritage), http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=183638&resourceID=5, retrieved 20 November 2010
- Farrer, William; Brownbill, J., eds. (1912), "The Parish of Poulton-le-Fylde", A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7 (Constable), OCLC 59626695, http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53222
- Fishwick, Henry (1885), The History of the Parish of Poulton-le-Fylde, in the County of Lancaster, Manchester: for the Chetham Society, OCLC 5823780, http://www.archive.org/stream/historyparishpo00fishgoog#page/n10/mode/1up
- Gooderson, P. J. (1980), A History of Lancashire, London: Batsford, ISBN 0-7134-2588-1
- Porter, John (1876), History of the Fylde of Lancashire, W. Porter, OCLC 12931605, http://www.archive.org/stream/historyfyldelan00johngoog#page/n7/mode/1up