Hardy Barn at Shipley on the main Ilkeston - Heanor Road (A6007).
Shipley is a village in the south-east of Derbyshire ; a modest place whose recorded population in 2011 was just 710.
Shipley is first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, in the form Scipelei. The name apparently derives from the Old English sceap ('sheep') and leah ('open ground, such as meadow, pasture, or arable land'). Thus it means 'sheep-clearing' or 'sheep-pasture'.
Shipley separates the Ilkeston and Heanor urban areas, which are linked by the main A6007 road. It also incorporates most of the Shipley Country Park and the hamlet known as 'The Field'. The Parish Church being at Cotmanhay, to the north of Ilkeston.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Shipley, Derbyshire)
- Kenneth Cameron, The Place-Names of Derbyshire, English Place-Name Society, 27–29 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1959), ii 502.
- P. Hardcastle. "Nutbrook Canal". Archived from the original on 2006-12-06. https://web.archive.org/web/20061206133435/http://www.canals.btinternet.co.uk/canals/nutbrook.htm.