Cottages in Pusey
|Council:||Vale of White Horse|
This is a small village alone in the fields between the Berkshire Downs and the floodplains of the River Thames. The nearest villages are Buckland to the northwest (to which it is joined more closely by footpath than by road) and Southmoor to the east. The Thames is 2 miles to the north.
The ancientness of Pusey is in no doubt, but when it first appeared is not known. The name 'Pusey' is derived from the Old English words pise eg, meaning "pea island". The Domesday Book of 1086 records the village as Pesei.
The parish church is All Saints. It was built in 1745–50 for J A Pusey, lord of the manor.
The Pusey family held the manor of Pusey from Saxon times. There is a tradition that it was granted to the family by Cnut the Great, betokened by the delivery of a horn (a practice which, if it existed, has been called "cornage"). The Pusey Horn is now in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London; its alleged Anglo-Saxon inscription in clear mediæval Middle English.
In 1753 the family built Pusey House. It was here that Bouverie Pusey was born in 1800, who became Regius Professor of Hebrew at Oxford and the Oxford Movement's leading theologian.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Mills & Room, 2003, page not cited
- Pevsner, 1966, page 195
- Victoria and Albert Museum: The Pusey Horn
Sources and further reading
- Mills, A.D.; Room, A. (2003). A Dictionary of British Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-852758-6.
- A History of the County of Berkshire, Volume 4 (1924) - Victoria County History
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1966). Berkshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 195–196.