Pond behind the Bush Inn, Ovington
Ovington is a village on the banks of the River Itchen in Hampshire, just upstream, to the west, of New Alresford. It stands on the south bank of the river at a meeting of lanes, just away from the dual carriageway of the A41.
At the 2001 census it had a recorded population of 163. Its largest building in the central area is Ovington House, of no great antiquity, but whose North Lodge is listed as Grade II.
The parish church is dedicated to St Peter and is Grade II listed.
The church was built in 1866, by John Colson. It is of rubble flint with stone dressings, and a spire with oversailing eaves tiled with cedar shingles. The interior is plain in accordance with Anglican practice but there is an interesting stone pulpit on short granite columns.
The revenues from the manor at Ovington supported Itchen's nuns until 1284 when it was sold to the monks of St Swithun's Priory of Winchester Cathedral. At the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1534–61), it was transferred to the newly formed Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral. The manorial rights were in dispute in 1855–59 between the Baroness van Zandt and the Bishop of Winchester. After this was resolved, it became the property of the Hewson family.
About the village
Ovington House stands at the south edge of the village.
- Ovington Church – Alresford Benefice
- National Heritage List England no. 1095294: Ovington House (Historic England)
- National Heritage List England no. 1095292: Church of St Peter, Ovington (Historic England)
- 101095292 - British Listed Buildings
- "Article". Southern Life. http://southernlife.org.uk/ovingt.htm. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- B&B directory
- The Bush Inn, Ovington
- National Heritage List England no. 1001803: Circular and rectangular enclosures at Itchen Stoke and Ovington (Historic England)