Nigg is a parish of Kincardineshire which forms a suburb of Aberdeen, county town of adjacent Aberdeenshire. Most of the ancient parish forms part of the civil parish of Aberdeen as it extended south of the River Dee. However the area around Cove Bay and Charleston remains part of the civil parish of Nigg. The area has a bay known as the Bay of Nigg or Nigg Bay, immediately south of a coastal golf course, and a farm that is also a visitor attraction, known as Doonies Farm.
Nigg is situated somewhat to the east of the ancient Causey Mounth trackway, which route was constructed on high ground to make passable this mediæval passage from coastal points south of Stonehaven to Aberdeen. This ancient passage connected the River Dee crossing (where the present Bridge of Dee is situated) via Muchalls Castle and Stonehaven to the south. The route was that taken by William Keith, 7th Earl Marischal and the Marquess of Montrose when they led a Covenanter army of 9,000 men in the battle of the Civil War in 1639.
- BBC Scotland
- Doonies Farm
- C. Michael Hogan, Causey Mounth, Megalithic Portal, ed.A. Burnham, Nov 3, 2007
- Archibald Watt, Highways and Byways around Kincardineshire, Stonehaven Heritage Society (1985)
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Nigg, Kincardineshire)
This Kincardineshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.