The High Street, Newport Pagnell
|Post town:||Newport Pagnell|
|North East Milton Keynes|
|Website:||Newport Pagnell Town Council|
Newport Pagnell is a town in Buckinghamshire to the east of Milton Keynes. Newport Pagnell is separated by the M1 motorway from Milton Keynes and is not part of its New Town development area but Newport is heavily affected by its neighbour in its own development. Newport Pagnell services on the M1 are named after the town.
The original parish church is St Peter and St Paul. Churches in Newport Pagnell include:
- Church of England:
- The Church of St Peter and St Paul
- St Luke’s
- Baptist: Newport Pagnell Baptist Church
- Methodist: Newport Pagnell
- United Reformed Church: Newport Pagnell URC Church
The town was first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Neuport, which is from the Old English meaning new market town. The suffix "Pagnell" came later when the manor passed into the hands of the Pagnell (Paynel) family. It was the principal town of the "Three Hundreds of Newport", a district that covers the northeastern portion of Buckinghamshire.
At one time, Newport Pagnell was one of the largest towns in Buckinghamshire and it was one of the towns in which the Buckinghamshire assizes of the county were held. It is still a substantial town and expanded with new development, but has been completely dwarfed by the growth of Milton Keynes.
There were also at one time two hospitals in Newport Pagnell and six fairs were held for the townsfolk throughout the year.
For a hundred years (1867 to 1967) Newport Pagnell was served by Newport Pagnell railway station the terminus on Wolverton to Newport Pagnell branch line. It is now best known for its place on the M1 motorway.
Tickford Bridge, over the River Ouzel (or Lovat), was built in 1810 and is the only iron bridge in Britain that still carries main road traffic and is the oldest iron bridge in the world that is still in constant use. There is a plaque near the footbridge at the side that gives details of its history and construction. A large set of sluice gates used to control downstream flooding of the River Great Ouse is located near the bridge.
From 1954, Tickford Street was the home of the Aston Martin factory, where all Aston Martin cars were built, until the recent opening of the new Ford Motor Company luxury division plant for Aston Martin that was built at Gaydon, Warwickshire. The town is also home to the only remaining vellum manufacturer in the United Kingdom, William Cowley, located at Parchment Works, 97 Caldecote Street.
- Town website with historical pictures, pictures of the town carnival and a message board for locals and ex pats to keep in touch
- Milton Keynes website with maps and information about Newport Pagnell
- Newport Pagnell Town Council
- Charles Hadfield (historian) (1970). The Canals of the East Midlands (including part of London) Second edition =. David & Charles (Publishers) Limited. pp. 272–273. ISBN 71534871X.