New Mill, Hertfordshire
By the eighteenth century there was a water mill at New Mill, powered by the River Bulbourne. In 1799 the Grand Junction Canal Company bought the mill at New Mill and dismantled it. Soon the canal was to take much of the stream of the Bulbourn, but the canal was not finally completed until 1805. As the water mill was lost, there was an opportunity for enterprise and a windmill was built to take its place at some time before 1820.
Tring Wharf developed from this time beside New Mill, at the highest point of the canal. The canal allowed barges to bring corn to the new windmill and carry its flour away, so Tring Mill thrived until overtaken by technology.building it up.