This fortified house, with walls three feet thick, provided a place of refuge during times of conflict and local tradition holds that cattle were driven here for protection. Today, parts of three walls remain, with some of the north-west wall still standing up to 20 feet in height.
The tower was reputedly destroyed in September 1545, during Lord Hereford's ruthless two day raid through the Scottish March. Hereford's actions, part of the 'Rough Wooing', destroying many buildings including religious foundations, houses and castles.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- CANMORE (RCAHMS) record of Leitholm, Lambden Burn, West Leitholm Bridge
- CANMORE (RCAHMS) record of Leitholm, 2 Main Street, Schoolhouse
- SCRAN: Various resources on Leitholm
- Scottish Borders council: Leitholm Settlement Profile 2004
- Borders Family History Society: Eccles and Leitholm