Laggan, Great Glen
Gaelic: An Lagan
|Post town:||Spean Bridge|
- Not to be confused with Laggan, Badenoch
Laggan is often considered to be two separate settlements, North Laggan and South Laggan, about one mile apart, both situated between Loch Lochy and Loch Oich. The Caledonian Canal passes by Laggan, linking these two lochs. Laggan Locks, a flight of two locks, connects the canal to Loch Oich.
The Great Glen Way long-distance footpath passes by Laggan, running alongside the canal and following the old railway line.
The Battle of the Shirts was fought nearby in July 1544.
The Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway once passed by Laggan. This line opened in 1896, with Invergarry railway station situated at North Laggan. The line closed to passengers in 1933, and to freight in 1947.
Notes and references
- "Place name database - Laggan". Ainmean-Àite na h-Alba. http://www.gaelicplacenames.org/databasedetails.php?id=73. Retrieved 2012-07-13.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Laggan, Great Glen)
This Inverness-shire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.