Churchyard cross and St Benedict's Church
|Louth and Horncastle|
Haltham is a village and parish in the Lindsey part of Lincolnshire. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 122. It is situated four miles south of the town of Horncastle, and on the east bank of the River Bain in the Lincolnshire Wolds, a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The parish church was dedicated to Saint Benedict, and is a Grade-I listed building built of greenstone and red-brick dating from the 12th century, with restorations in 1881 and 1890. In 1964 Pevsner noted a chalice and flagon, dated 1765, by London silversmith Francis Crump. The church was closed by the Diocese of Lincoln in October 1977, and is now maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust.
The village was served by the Marmion Arms public house, a half-timbered thatched building.
In 1885 Kelly's Directory recorded that agricultural production in the 2,380-acre acre parish was chiefly wheat, oats and turnips, The 1881 population was 179.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- "Haltham (Parish): Key Figures for 2011 Census". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadKeyFigures.do?a=7&b=11124145&c=Haltham&d=16&e=62&g=6446124&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=1&s=1463654447828&enc=1. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Domesday Map". Haltham. Anna Powell-Smith/University of Hull. http://www.domesdaymap.co.uk/place/TF2463/haltham/. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Harris, John; The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire p. 265; Penguin (1964); revised by Nicholas Antram in 1989, Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-09620-8
- "Haltham". Genuki.org.uk. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Haltham/. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- Historic England. "St Benedict Haltham (352856)". PastScape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=352856. Retrieved 19 June 2011
- "British Listed Buildings". St Benedict Haltham. English Heritage. http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-400417-church-of-st-benedict-haltham. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- "British Listed Buildings". cross, Haltham. English Heritage. http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-400418-churchyard-cross-to-church-of-st-benedic. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- National Heritage List 1010680: Churchyard cross, St Benedict's churchyard
- "Lincs to the Past". Marmion Arms, Haltham. Lincolnshire Archives. http://www.lincstothepast.com/MARMION-ARMS--HALTHAM-ON-BAIN--LINCOLNSHIRE/466071.record?pt=S. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- Kelly's Directory of Lincolnshire with the port of Hull 1885, p. 464