Flitton is a small village in Bedfordshire. The River Flit flows close by the village: whether the river is named from the village or the village from the river is not quite settled: probably the village has the older claim on the name.
The village is notable primarily as the home of the De Grey Mausoleum adjacent to St John the Baptist church.
Richard Milward, the editor of Selden’s Table Talk was born at Flitton in 1609. There are two pubs, The White Hart by the church hall and Jolly Coopers at Wardhedges.
Church of St John the Baptist
The church, which stands on a slight mound on the west side of the village, was probably built by Edmund Grey, Earl of Kent (1465), between 1440 and 1489. It has a 27-foot chancel, nave 39 feet long with aisles, south porch and west three-stage tower with a projecting rood stair turret; the whole appears to be one built in local ironstone, embattled. On the walls of the north aisle are three fragmentary brasses commemorating: Eleanor Conquest (1434), Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Waren (1544) and Alice, wife of Reginald Hill (1594).
The natural philosopher George Hadley (1685–1768) is buried in the chancel.