St Matthew's, Eye
The village's name comes from the Old English iegmeaning "island", as it was an isle in the Great Fen.
There has been a church there since at least 1543. The present church, St. Matthew's, was built in 1846. Originally built with a spire, this was removed fairly recently for safety reasons and now has a roofed tower. Eye Cornmill was a windmill with eight sails. Eye is separated from its sister village of Eye Green by the A47 trunk road. Eye was previously one of the brickmaking villages of the Peterborough area, along with the nearby Huntingdonshire villages of Fletton, Yaxley and Stanground. There was a brickpit (a quarry for clay for making bricks). northolme in Crowland Road was the site of the Brick works Social club. When this closed the buildings and pit were taken over by the British Sub Aqua Club and run as a National Dive Site, managed by the Peterborough Branch. When this closed the buildings were demolished; the brickpit is now Eye Green Nature Reserve.
Eye is a large village by local standards and contains many amenities now lost in rural areas. These include a post office, three pubs, a kebab and pizza shop, a fish and chip shop, a butcher, a bakery, a café, a Chinese takeaway, community centre, a tanning salon, a Londis store, a Boots pharmacy, a GP surgery, hairdresser and Italian restaurant.
The three-mile £7 million A47 Eye Bypass opened in October 1991.
There was an Eye Green railway station on the line between Peterborough and Norfolk, which closed many years ago.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Eye, Northamptonshire)