Edrom Parish Church
Roxburgh and Selkirk
Edrom is a small village and parish of east-central Berwickshire three miles north-east of Duns close to the Whiteadder Water. It is bounded on the north by the Parishes of Bunkle and Preston and Chirnside, on the east by the Parishes of Chirnside, Hutton and Whitsome and Hilton, on the south by the Parishes of Whitsome and Hilton, Swinton and Fogo and on the west by the Parishes of Langton and Duns. It includes the nearby village of Allanton.
Nearby are Allanbank, Allanton, the Blackadder Water, Blanerne Castle, Chirnside, Chirnsidebridge, Foulden, Gavinton, Hutton, the former Kelloe House, Kimmerghame House, Manderston House, Preston and Wedderburn Castle.
The village contains several notable buildings, including the Manse, 1881, and the former school, early 19th century. The schoolroom, now the Village Hall, is very likely the Sewing School erected in 1866.
Edrom Newton Farm, with a neo-Jacobean steading, is a late 18th or early 19th century farm house built by Richard Miller of Manderston; it is notable for its pavilions with Venetian windows.
Edrom Farm Cottages are a stylish group of neo-Jacobean cottages, 1876, just to the east of the steading.
A parish church was granted to Durham Cathedral in the early 12th century.
The Logan Aisle, to the west of the church, contains what is described as the finest piece of Romanesque architectural sculpture in Scotland - the reset doorway from the main church. This dates from the 12th century, and is now somewhat worn.
Thought to date from circa 1740, and a somewhat dated design for that time, Edrom House is a simple classical rectangular piend-roofed house. A design introduced by Sir William Bruce in the 17th century.
Edrom House was the home of the International Cello Centre, a residential school for musicians of varying ages and backgrounds run by John Gwilt, Jane and Christopher Cowan, where Steven Isserlis and Steven Doane trained in the 1970s. The school is no longer based at Edrom and is now called The International Casals Centre.
Edrom had a railway station on the North British Railway's Berwickshire Railway (opened 1863). The railway line ran from Reston to Earlston, joining the East Coast Main Line to the Waverley Line. A five span rounded arch railway bridge was built over the Whiteadder Water, in the hamlet of Chirnsidebridge, in 1863 to carry the railway.
Edrom Railway Station was closed to passenger traffic 10 September 1951. Freight continued until 19 July 1965. The station had a single platform. The station building, platform and goods shed remain intact.
Edrom was notable as the site of a notorious incident of Body Snatching in 1826, which resulted in a riot in Duns.
- Borders and Berwick by Charles Alexander Strang, The Rutland Press, 1994, ISBN 1-873190-10-7
- The Buildings of Scotland - Borders, by Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, Yale University Press, 2006, ISBN 0-300-10702-1
- Knight Frank (2002) Edrom House, Duns, Berwickshire: Sale particulars, Lauder. Held at RCAHMS
- National Library of Scotland, Memorials of a Border Family, history of the Logan Home family
- RCAHMS record for Edrom Parish
- RCAHMS record for Edrom Parish Church, Manse
- RCAHMS record for Edrom House
- FORESTRY COMMISSION: Response to Consultation on Forestry Provision in the Scottish Climate Change Bill, from Edrom, Allanton and Whitsome Community Council
- GEOGRAPH image of Edrom Norman Arch
- VisitScotland: Edrom Nurseries