The Green at Swinton
Roxburgh and Selkirk
Swinton is a small village in Berwickshire, around five miles south-east of Duns, and three miles north-west of the Northumberland border. It is located at the crossroads of the A6112 and B6461 roads.
Swinton dates to the 11th century or earlier, and is associated with the Swinton family, who took their name from the settlement. In 1769, the village was re-designed and a market was created, now marked by the market cross. A parish church was built and still stands today. In the churchyard, the Swintons have their own burial enclosure. In 1843, the Free Church of Swinton was built, but in the 1900s the spire was removed and it became the local village hall.
- Daniel Laidlaw, recipient of the Victoria Cross
Swinton House, a mile west of the village, dates in its current form to 1800, and was the residence of many of the Swinton family. It was built to replace an earlier house, which was destroyed by fire in the late 18th century. Both the house and the nearby 18th century dovecote are protected as category A listed buildings.
- "Swinton House, Listed Building Report". Historic Scotland. http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=15339. Retrieved 2009-07-13.
- "Swinton House Dovecote, Listed Building Report". Historic Scotland. http://hsewsf.sedsh.gov.uk/hslive/hsstart?P_HBNUM=13850. Retrieved 2009-07-13.