St Peters Church
Daylesford is a small, privately owned village in the very west of Gloucestershire, by the border with Oxfordshire, or technically in a detached part of Worcestershire locally situate in Gloucestershire.
In the Middle Ages the manor was held by the Hastings family.
- Main article: Daylesford House
In 1788, Daylesford House was acquired by Warren Hastings, Governor-General of India, a descendant of its mediæval owners. In the following years, he remodelled the mansion to the designs of Samuel Pepys Cockerell, modelling it on the grand house he had built at Alipore in India. The interior was replete with magnificent classical and Indian decoration (a style later developed successfully at Sezincote House nearby), with much use of silver and crimson. The drawing room and library had furniture made out of ivory brought back from India
The gardens were landscaped by John Davenport (fl. 1774).
Warren Hastings also rebuilt the Norman Church of St Peter in 1816, where he was buried two years later. The church was again rebuilt to the designs of John Loughborough Pearson in 1859-63. It is a Grade I Listed Building, having been designated as such on 25 August 1960.
During the 20th century, the house and estate were the property of Viscount Rothermere, who restored the house with the help of the interior decorator John Fowler, and Baron Heinrich Thyssen. It is currently the Gloucestershire home of Sir Anthony and Lady Bamford, major shareholders in the JCB excavator company. The of Snowdon and his family rent a cottage on the estate.
The lakeside gardens with wooded walks and unusual trees and shrubs are occasionally open to the public in the summer months. There is a farm shop on the estate, which sells organic food under the Daylesford Organic brand.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Concise Road Atlas of Britain. AA Publishing. 2016. p. 30. ISBN 978-0-7495-7743-8.
- Christopher Christie (2000). The British Country House in the Eighteenth Century. Manchester University Press. p. 81. ISBN 978-0-7190-4725-1. https://books.google.com/books?id=G-wOz1kFCdMC&pg=PA81.
- Daylesford House, Moreton-In-Marsh (Parks & Gardens)
- National Heritage List 1341122: Church of St Peter, Adlestrop
- 'My perfect weekend: David Linley': Anna Tyzack in The Daily Telegraph 24 November 2011
- Mander, Nicholas: 'Country Houses of the Cotswolds' (Aurum Press, 2008)