|Post town:||Milton Keynes|
|Milton Keynes North|
Bradwell is an ancient village in Buckinghamshire which has become utterly transformed and turned into merely a part of Milton Keynes New Town. Its name is now attached to a New Town grid-square, which includes the old village.
The village stood adjacent to Bradwell Abbey, a Benedictine priory, founded in 1155 and dissolved in 1540, though the abbey and its immediate environs were always a separate parish.
The village name is Old English, from Brad wielle, meaning broad spring. In the Domesday Book of 1086 the village is recorded as Bradewelle.
About the village
Sport and Leisure
- Football: Old Bradwell United FC, who play at Abbey Road.
Bradwell has a remarkable number of King George V Playing Fields; four in total, three of them on Abbey Road. Each was laid down in memorial of King George V. This was long before the new town development and has survived it, if not entirely unchanged.
There are also a number of cricket fields and football fields in the Bradwell Village area.
Rooksley, at the western edge of the parish, has an important Karting track.
- Bradwell Abbey and City Discovery Centre (in adjacent Bradwell Abbey parish)
- 'Parishes : Bradwell' – Victoria History of the Counties of England, A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 4 (1927), pp. 283–288.