Main Street, Braco
|Council:||Perth and Kinross|
|Ochil and South Perthshire|
Braco is a village in Perthshire – a small place with a population of 515 at the Census. It is the main settlement in the parish of Ardoch and is to be found 5 miles north of Dunblane towards Perth off the A9 road. The A822 forms its main road.
Braco was established in 1815 following the sale or feu of lands owned by James Master son. The village is marking the bicentenary in 2015 including with events timed around the issuing of the first feus in May.
Before that, Roman occupation on the Gask Ridge stretching across Scotland included the Roman Fort at Ardoch.
The ramparts and ditches of the Roman camp are still plainly visible at Ardoch Roman Fort just north of Braco.
A permanent fixture at the nearby Lodge Park is the Knaik or Knaick Bridge which dates from the 15th Century. An interpretation board for the village and parking for the fort is also by the park entrance.
- Church of Scotland: Ardoch Church (linked with Blackford)
A Free Church formerly stood Church Street/ Feddal Road, and has been converted to other use.
About the village
Braco has a single village shop and an outreach post office, as well as a few garages, including a filling station. There is a village hall, playpark and a bowling green. On Feddal Road is Braco Primary School and nursery class.
The Braco Hotel stands here, recently renovated.
The Lodge Park is home to the annual Braco Show, an agricultural event.
- The Strathearn Herald
- The Perthshire Advertiser
- The Stirling Observer
- The Courier (Perthshire edition)
- The Strathallan Times
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- About Braco at Perthshire-Scotland.co.uk