Crossroads at Banchory Devenick
Banchory-Devenick is a village and parish in Kincardineshire adjacent to the border with Aberdeenshire. As well as the village of Banchory-Devenick itself, the parish encompasses the town of Portlethen some four miles to the south. Banchory-Devenick lies just over a mile south of the city of Aberdeen, county town of adjacent Aberdeenshire. The civil parish lies entirely in Kincardineshire, whereas the ancient parish spans the River Dee, its northern part lying in Aberdeenshire and its southern part in Kincardineshire. The village of Banchory-Devenick lies slightly west of the A90 road, and the ancient Causey Mounth passes directly through the village. An historic graveyard dating to AD 1157 is present at the village of Banchory-Devenick. Other historic features in the vicinity include Saint Ternan's Church, Muchalls Castle and the Lairhillock Inn.
Banchory-Devenick is located along the Causey Mounth trackway, which road was constructed on high ground to make passable this only available mediæval route from coastal points south from Stonehaven to Aberdeen. This ancient passage specifically connected the River Dee crossing (where the present Bridge of Dee is situated) via Portlethen Moss, Muchalls Castle and Stonehaven to the south. The route was that taken by[William Keith, 7th Earl Marischal and the Duke of Montrose when they led a Covenanter army of 9,000 men in the first battle of the Civil War in 1639.
- Banchory-Devenick Historic Graveyard
- C.Michael Hogan, Causey Mounth, Megalithic Portal, ed. by A. Burnham, Nov 3, 2007
- Watt, Archibald, Highways and Byways around Kincardineshire, Stonehaven Heritage Society (1985)
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
This Kincardineshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.