Alvington, Gloucestershire

From Wikishire
Jump to: navigation, search
A48, Alvington - - 2028571.jpg
A48 road through Alvington
Grid reference: SO603008
Location: 51°42’19"N, 2°34’32"W
Post town: Lydney
Postcode: GL15
Local Government
Council: Forest of Dean
Forest of Dean

Alvington is a village and parish in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, situated on the A48 road, six miles north-east of Chepstow in Monmouthshire. The parish has a total population of 484, increasing to 506 at the 2011 census.[1]


Alvington, was one of a number of hamlets dotted along the River Severn, following the former Roman road leading from Newnham on Severn to Chepstow. The manor of Alvington is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 under the name ‘Alwintune’, then part of the Herefordshire hundred of Bromsash,[2] held by Turstin FitzRolf.[3] During the 12th century, Alvington joined Gloucestershire as part of the Bledisloe Hundred, and became a separate parish. During the late Middle Ages Alvington parish and manor were under the ownership of Llanthony Priory (in Gloucester) which was dissolved in 1539. The lord of the manor’s seat was situated in Clanna Falls around one mile from the village. In its history Alvington, has variously boasted two smithies, a small brewery, a small engineering works and several shops.[4]

Society and amenities

Alvington’s population had varied somewhere between 300 and 500 since the mid-19th century. During the 1960s the development of a council estate increased the size of the village. The village lies at the edge of the Forest of Dean, which was once an important coal producing area. There is a strong agricultural influence in the village today, although historically this would have been more evident and many of the population now work outside of the village and its immediate surroundings.

There used to be a village school in Alvington dating back to around 1850, however the last remnants of what became Alvington Church of England School closed in 1958.

Today, Alvington has little in the way of shops and villagers have to travel to the nearby town of Lydney for most services beyond those served by the local petrol station, which acts as the village shop. There are three public houses in Alvington: The Blacksmith’s Arms; The Globe Inn; and The Swan Inn. The Globe Inn dates back to around 1805. The Blacksmith’s Arms dates back the late nineteenth-century in a building that was formerly a smithy (hence the pub’s current name). The Swan Inn lies on the border of Alvington and neighbouring Woolaston (also classed as Colne Valley), and once contained a mill in its early days.

St Andrew’s church

Built by Llanthony Priory around 1140, the church was originally named St Mary’s, until it took its current name of St Andrew's in 1523. In 1858 the church underwent substantial restoration leaving only one small Norman window to reveal its Norman origins. St Andrew’s, Alvington is in the ecclesiastical parish of Woolaston and Alvington, in the Deanery of Forest South under the Diocese of Gloucester. St Andrew’s, Alvington is found on Church Lane and a village hall was built nearby in 1924.


Alvington lies on the A48 road, between Chepstow and Gloucester. The nearest railway stations can also be found in Lydney (for local trains from Gloucester) and Chepstow on more regular national routes.


Alvington and Woolaston Cricket Club was founded in 1983, originally playing at Woolaston Primary School, they now play their home fixtures in Alvington. The club competes in the Forest League and the Forest Mid-Week League.


Outside links

("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Alvington, Gloucestershire)