Bridge at Alconbury
Alconbury is a village in the county of Huntingdon.
The village stands near the point where a major north-south road, the A1 trunk road, crosses the only major east/west road: the A14. There have long been proposals to convert the airfield (now redundant) into a commercial airport to benefit from these surface links, but has been the great local planning controversy for many years.
To the northwest is Alconbury Weston. Nearby to the east along the A14 are The Stukeleys: Great Stukeley and Little Stukeley. Little Stukeley is nearer to the former airfield than Alconbury. Just north of the A1/A14 junction is Alconbury Hill.
Alconbury gives its name to RAF Alconbury. Units of the United States Air Force were based at Alconbury from 1942-1945, and then from 1953 to 1995.
The research laboratory, Huntingdon Life Sciences, is just south of the village.
The parish church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul.
There is also a Baptist church.
The Great North Road passed through the village and Alconbury Weston to the north-west, its route now taken over by the A1, which in turn was dualled from Water Newton to Alconbury Hill in three stages in 1958. The £1.25m two-mile A1 bypass opened in December 1964. In November 1998, the bypass was upgraded into a motorway section, the A1(M), which terminates next of the village. The old road is partly the B1043 which is also part of the former A14 and the rest of the former A1 to Peterborough.
About the village
The village has its own parish council. It has a Neighbourhood Watch group, cricket club, football teams, several pubs, doctor's surgery, post office and houses the local MP. There is a Church of England primary school. A service station on the B1043/A14 junction closed in August 2007.
There are several annual events held including The Midsummer Fun Fair, The Neighbourhood Watch Summer Fête and The Dame Norma Major charity cricket match.
- Alconbury C of E Primary School. Retrieved 23 February 2009
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|