Wigginton, Hertfordshire

From Wikishire
Revision as of 12:29, 28 November 2012 by Owain (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
St. Bartholomew's, Wigginton - geograph.org.uk - 106732.jpg
St Bartholomew's, Wigginton
Grid reference: SP939102
Location: 51°46’60"N, 0°38’19"W
Post town: Tring
Postcode: HP23
Dialling code: 01296/01442
Local Government
Council: Dacorum
South West Hertfordshire

Wigginton is a large village in Hertfordshire, running north-south and perched at 730 feet above sea level on the edge of the Chiltern Hills beside the border with Buckinghamshire. The nearest towns are Tring in Hertfordshire (a mile and half northwest) and across the other side of the major A41 road and Buckinghamshire are Chesham and Wendover (6 miles south and west respectively)


St Bartholomew's Church was first recorded in 1217 and is thought to have had connections with the Knights Hospitalers. Much of the main building dates from the 15th century and major restoration was undertaken in 1881.

Today there is a C of E Primary School of the same name associated with the church.

There is evidence of nonconformist worship during the 18th century but the first nonconformist church, a Baptist chapel, was opened in the village only in 1904.


The manor of Wigginton is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Wigentone. It belonged to a half-brother of William the Conqueror, Robert, Count of Mortain. However the Domesday Book indicates that Wigginton had not been gifted to him but was probably acquired by force by Robert from two adjacent estates close to Tring one of which had previously been in the hands of Edith of Wessex.

During the 13th century Wigginton formed part of the estate at Little Gaddesden passing first to the de Broc family and then, through marriage to the de Lucys. After the death of Sir William Lucy in 1466 it was in the ownership of the Corbets for over 130 years. The manor was then the subject of successive legal challenges fought out in the Court of Chancery until it came into the possession of Sir Richard Anderson of the manor of Pendley during the 1650s. Elizabeth Spencer (née Anderson) inherited Wigginton and became the third wife of Simon Harcourt, 1st Viscount Harcourt 1703. The manor remained in the Harcourt family until the 1860s. Colonel Charles Harcourt had died in 1831 leaving the manor to his three daughters, Sarah, Elizabeth and Alice who jointly sold it to Rev. James Williams in 1868.

Adjacent to the main village is the settlement of Wigginton Bottom where a number of farmworkers cottages were built.

The Champneys (also recorded as Champneys and Forsters) estate was originally a separate manor associated with Tring and was recorded in the Court Rolls of 1514. It was owned by successive landowning families in the Wigginton and surrounding area between the 14th and 19th centuries, although for a short period around 1535 it is recorded as owned by the then Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Cranmer.

In 1902 Champneys was sold to Lady Rothschild by the Rev Arthur Sutton Valpy, a descendant of Richard Valpy who had inherited it in 1871. He replaced the original building by the current house in 1874 which stood in extensive grounds of around 200 acres which his late wife Emily Anne Sutton had acquired, prior to their marriage, largely from the vicars of Tring. It is now known as a health spa.

Wigginton Common was enclosed in 1854 and was subsequently incorporated into the Tring Park Estate owned at the time by the Rothschild Family.

Outside links

("Wikimedia Commons" has material
about Wigginton, Hertfordshire)