Llandogo from across the River Wye
Llandogo is a small village in eastern Monmouthshire in the lower Wye Valley and on the road between Monmouth and Chepstow. It stands two miles north of Tintern, on a steep hillside overlooking the River Wye and across into the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire.
The village derives its name from St Oudoceus, or Euddogwy, the third Bishop of Llandaff, who probably lived in the area in the 6th or 7th century. The present parish church is on the site of a 7th or 8th century foundation, but was wholly rebuilt in 1860.
Llandogo was a port, renowned at one time for building of the trow, a flat-bottomed river boat that until the 19th century was used for trading up and down the River Wye, also on the River Severn shore and across the Severn estuary and the Bristol Channel to Bristol. The boat gave its name to the historic Llandoger Trow pub close to the harbour in Bristol. The bell of 'The William and Sarah', one of the last Chepstow barges to trade on the river, can be found in the bell tower of the church at Llandogo.
The Priory is associated with Robert Baden-Powell, founder of the Scouting movement, who spent several summers as a boy there. He recounts in the sixth yarn of Scouting For Boys an expedition by folding boat up the River Thames, down the River Avon and across the Severn Estuary, finishing in Llandogo. The Priory belonged to Count Henry Philip Ducarel de la Pasture, whose wife and daughter were both well-known novelists, as Mrs Henry de la Pasture and E M Delafield respectively.
In and around the village
There are many local walks along the river bank and up through the village to Cleddon Shoots, a local "Site of Special Scientific Interest" and towards the village of Trellech.
The Wye Valley Walk runs along the top of the village, and the Offa's Dyke walk is just across the river. The village is designated as a Conservation Area.
The village hall, the 'Millennium Hall', was opened in 2003 by Princess Anne. Events are organised by the local community.
Brown's Stores has been the village's only general goods store since 1921 and is still to this day run by the family. The family itself have lived in the village for generations.
The Sloop Inn is the village's only pub and derives its name from the sloops that traded up and down the River Wye and across the Bristol Channel, being larger than the smaller, lighter flat bottomed trows.