after a mini-heatwave, sea mist envelops the coast
Y Ferwig or Verwick is a small village and parish in Cardiganshire about two to three miles from the county town, Cardigan. The name Verwick is the only non-Welsh parish name in the county and presumably derives from a coastal Norse settlement.
The church, dedicated to St Pedrog, is located in a rectangular churchyard in a prominent position above the village centre, set back from the road and accessed by a narrow lane.
According to Samuel Lewis's 1833 Topographical Dictionary of Wales, the parish is "celebrated in the Welsh annals for the memorable and sanguinary resistance opposed by the natives to a body of invading Flemings, who had effected a landing on a part of the beach, called Traeth y Mount; and in the desperate battle which ensued these invaders were defeated with dreadful carnage, and their dead bodies were strewn in heaps on the sands...."