Whitecross village, with Cockleroi beyond
|Population:||819 (2001 census)|
|Linlithgow and East Falkirk|
Whitecross is a small village in the parish of Muiravonside in the very east of Stirlingshire, close to the border with West Lothian. It lies two miles west of Linlithgow and two and a half miles south-east of Polmont on the west bank of the River Avon.
Manuel Junction, where the branch line from Bo'ness used by the Scottish Railway Preservation Society meets the Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh Waverley main line, lies north-east of Whitecross. The main local industries were a brickworks and coal mining, both now ceased. The Avon Aqueduct carries the Union Canal across the River Avon just south of Whitecross.
The ruins of Manuel Priory are close to Whitecross on the eastern, West Lothian, bank of the Avon. This was a Cistercian convent founded, or perhaps re-founded, in the reign of King Malcolm IV (1153–1165). The remains of the 15th-century Haining Castle lie in the grounds of the former Manuel brickwork north-east of Whitecross.
- "Comparative Population Profile: Whitecross Locality". SCROL. http://www.scrol.gov.uk/scrol/browser/profile.jsp?profile=Population&mainArea=whitecross&mainLevel=Locality. Retrieved 2009-12-10.
- Insight 2001, No 3 - 2001 Census Population of settlements and wards, www.falkirk.gov.uk. Retrieved 2011-05-17
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Whitecross, Stirlingshire)
This Stirlingshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.