St Dubricius Church, Whitchurch
and South Herefordshire
The village is named, unsurprisingly, named after its church, St Dubricius, which was originally white in colour.
After the Norman Conquest, the area became known as Archenfield and was governed as part of the Welsh Marches. The latter area was dissolved with the Laws in Wales Act of 1535 under King Henry VIII, leaving Whitchurch definitively within Herefordshire. Nevertheless, the use of the Welsh language in the area remained strong until the 19th century. The Welsh name for the village is Llandywynnog, which means "Church of Tywynnog".
About the village
Within the parish in Symonds Yat is the Old Court (now the Old Court Hotel) which was the ancestral home of the Gwillim family. John Graves Simcoe, first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada (1791–1796) and founder of Toronto, named Whitchurch Township in Ontario after the birthplace of his wife, Elizabeth Gwillim.
The village primary school, Whitchurch Church of England Primary School, holds awards for Investors in People and Eco Schools.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Whitchurch, Herefordshire)