St Michael's & All Angels Church, Walford
This is one of two villages called Walford in the county, the other Walford being in the north of Herefordshire.
There are two Church of England churches in the parish: All Saints at Bishopswood and St Michael and All Angels at Walford itself. They belong to different benefices.
The centre of the nave of Walford church was constructed around 1100 making it one of the earliest churches to be built in Herefordshire.
Bishopswood Church is far more recent being endowed in 1841.
About the village
The B4324 Ross-on-Wye to Coleford road runs through the village.
Walford Court was the headquarters of Colonel John Birch during the siege of Goodrich Castle in the Civil War.
Also at Hom Green is the Church of the Paraclete, now closed. It is a Grade II listed building. The church was built in 1905–06 to designs by George Frederick Bodley in memory of Major Lionel James Trafford.
Walford has a children's nursery (at the village hall) and a primary school.
The Ross and Monmouth Railway went through the village between Ross-on-Wye railway station and Monmouth Troy railway station from 1873/4. Eventually Walford Halt railway station was opened. It was opened by the Great Western Railway on 23 February 1931 and consisted of 120 ft platform and a small hut on the east side of the line. It was unstaffed and had no freight facilities or sidings. The staff of Kerne Bridge station lit the platform lights and cleaned the stop, though its traffic receipts were counted with Ross-on-Wye's.
The halt closed on 5 January 1959 when the Ross and Monmouth Railway was closed to passengers. The track was still used from Ross-on-Wye to Lydbrook until 1965 as a private siding to serve a cable works.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
about Walford, Ross-on-Wye)
- Information on Walford, Ross-on-Wye from GENUKI
- Description from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
- History of Walford Parish Church from Ross Team Ministry
- Walford Parish Council
- Walford Primary School
- Walford Timber
- Wye Pursuits Outdoor Adventure
- Mill Race Gastro Pub
- Bishopswood House
- The Inn on the Wye
- Pictures of Walford and the area on Geograph.co.uk
- Ross with Walford and Brampton Abbotts Benefice: St Michael and All Angels, Walford
- Bishopswood Church
- National Heritage List England no. 1099665: Hill Court Manor
- National Heritage List England no. 1348845: Church of the Paraclete, Hom Green
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 239. R508. ISBN 1-85260-508-1.
- Stanley C Jenkins, The Ross, Monmouth and Pontypool Road Line, revised second edition 2009, ISBN 978-0-85361-692-4
- Stan Yorke, Lost Railways of Gloucestershire, 2009, ISBN 978-1-84674-163-0