The name derives from the Welsh language Tref 'township' and Eglwys 'church'. The village sits on the River Trannon. There are many amenities in the village including a public house, garage, parish church, Nonconformist chapel, primary school, village hall and children's playground.
Historically, the parish of Trefeglwys includes the townships of Bodaioch, Maestrefgomer, Esgeirieth and Dolgwden, whilst a rural area the parish of Trefeglwys is about eight miles long by three miles wide.
Notable People born in Trefeglwys
- 2012 Rally America Champion Driver David Higgins.
- 2003 World Rally champion Co-driver Phil Mills.
- Rev Dr John Breynton, DD (CIR 1730-1799) - rector of Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Rev Evan Pugh of Rhiwi 1762-1830 Vicar1762 - 1830 - Eqlwys Fach - married Anne Owen of Trefeglwys 1786-1869 - Child Evan Pugh 1874 who married Margaet Parry de Heveningham -
- Trefeglwys - A One Parish Study
- Trefeglwys Community Council - Key Statistics, Powys Council Council Research and Information Unit
- www.geograph.co.uk : photos of Trefeglwys and surrounding area
This Montgomeryshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.