Church of St Lawrence
Tinsley is a village forming a suburb of Sheffield 9, Yorkshire. The name "Tinsley" is also associated with the nearby former Tinsley Marshalling Yard and the Tinsley Viaduct, which carries the M1 motorway across the Don Valley, as well as the former Tinsley Towers.
The name of the suburb derives from the Old English Tingas-Leah, which means 'Field of Council', cognate with "thing (assembly)" and "lea", a dialectal word for "meadow". It is mentioned as 'Tirneslawe' or 'Tineslawe' in the Domesday Book of 1086 when it was in the possession of Roger de Busli.
The chapel of St Laurence, Tinsley was built in 1877 on the site of an ancient (possibly of Anglo-Saxon origin) chapel. An annual royal payment was received until 1847 in order that a service for the dead could be held.
Another tradition associated with the settlement required the Lord of the Manor of Tinsley to take a pair of white gloves to the Lord of Tickhill each year at Michaelmas, and receive in return a white dove to keep over winter.
Tinsley Wood lay to the south of the settlement, on land now partly occupied by Sheffield City Airport and High Hazels Park. It may have been the site of the Battle of Brunanburh in 937, where Athelstan of Wessex gained the submission of the Celtic monarchs of Norse-Ireland & around Britain. In the mediaeval period, it was associated with outlaws, one named as "Roger de Presteman, an outlawe of Tyneslawe".
The area became industrialised from 1732, when the River Don Navigation was extended to terminate in the village. A turnpike road was constructed to Sheffield. In 1819, the Sheffield Canal was opened, running from Tinsley to Sheffield. The area became major industrial centre known for its collieries, iron, steel, and wire works.
Companies such as George Cohen, the '600 works', Osbourn Hadfield and Brinsworth Strip Mills were occupants of the landscape near Tinsley and the neighbouring district of Templeborough. Only the BOC plan and Brinsworth Strip Mills remain within the village boundaries. All the remaining works were either demolished or preserved as a museum to what was the heart of Sheffield industry until 1985.
Facilities and attractions
Replacing the steelworks on Vulcan Road is the Meadowhall shopping centre.
In the centre of Tinsley is the Tinsley Recreation ground (sometimes referred to as "the Rec"). This part of this has been claimed as a community centre called Tinsley Green. It has a new five-a-side football pitch, Tennis court, children's playground, adult rides and a cricket bowling practice area.