The Rose and Crown pub
and Tilshead Baptist Chapel, Tilshead
Tilshead is a village and parish in the Branch and Dole hundred of Wiltshire. It is close to the geographical centre of Salisbury Plain, on the A360 road approximately midway between the villages of Shrewton and Market Lavington, and is near the source of the River Till. Its population in 2011 was 358, down from a peak of 989 inhabitants in 1951.
The White Barrow, a Neolithic long barrow, is nearby.
In 1086, Tilshead was a borough and a large royal estate. The tithing of South Tilshead was a manor of Romsey Abbey until the dissolution of the Monasteries. The name was sometimes written as Tydolveshyde.
Tilshead Lodge was built in the early 18th century to the south-west of the village, then rebuilt c. 1800. The estate was used for racehorse training in the early 19th and early 20th centuries. The house was demolished sometime after 1957.
There is a pub, the Rose and Crown, and a village hall.
Much of Salisbury Plain is used by the Ministry of Defence for military training. Westdown Camp, ½ mile to the east of the village, is an accommodation centre for the Salisbury Plain Training Area.
RAF Tilshead, to the south-west of the village, was in use from 1925 to 1941.
- "Parish population 2011". Office for National Statistics. https://neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadKeyFigures.do?a=7&b=11129712&c=SP3+4SD&d=16&e=62&g=6476341&i=1001x1003x1032x1004&m=0&r=0&s=1426515359011&enc=1. Retrieved 16 March 2015.
- "Census". Wiltshire Council. http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getcensus.php?item=Tilshead. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Victoria County History - Wiltshire - Vol 15 pp263-275 - Parishes: Tilshead". University of London. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol15/pp263-275. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- Tilshead in the Domesday Book
- Patent Rolls; King Edward I; volume 2, p685, the Index section: as seen in: http://sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu/patentrolls/e1v2/index/Edward1vol2page0685.pdf
- National Heritage List England no. 1023968: Church of St Thomas a Becket, Tilshead (Historic England)
- "Church of St Thomas à Becket, Tilshead". Wiltshire Council. http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getchurch.php?id=1438. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Baptist Chapel, Tilshead". Wiltshire Council. http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getchurch.php?id=1440. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Tilshead Baptist Chapel". Tilshead Parish Council. http://www.tilsheadvillage.com/baptist.shtml.
- "St Thomas à Becket C of E (Aided) Primary School - Tilshead". http://www.st-thomas-a-becket.wilts.sch.uk/. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Tilshead School". Wiltshire Council. http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getschool.php?id=1399. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Tilshead Village Hall". Charity Commission. http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Showcharity/RegisterOfCharities/CharityWithoutPartB.aspx?RegisteredCharityNumber=266014&SubsidiaryNumber=0. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- "Tilshead". Wiltshire Council. http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getcom.php?id=224. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- http://tilsheadvillage.com/ - Parish website