Church of SS Quiricus & Julietta
Tickenham is a wealthy ornate village and parish in the Portbury Hundred of Somerset, near Clevedon and Nailsea. The civil parish has a population of 910. It has a primary school and a village hall, but no shops, although it formerly had a post office.
A typical ribbon development, Tickenham extends for approximately two miles along the B3130 road, which runs along the bottom of a ridge of hills between Clevedon and Failand. There are a few short side-roads, but for most of this distance the village consists of grand detached houses and elite farmhouses built along the edge of the main road.
On a hill to the north of the village is Cadbury Camp, an Iron Age hill fort. It is not uncommon to find ancient pottery shards in the surrounding grassland.
The mill on the Land Yeo was established in the middle of the 12th century by Canons of the Abbey of St Augustine, (now Bristol Cathedral) who were granted the patronage of the living of Tickenham by Robert Fitzhardinge. In the 19th century the mill was owned by the Ashton Court Estate and in the 20th century was used as a water pump. It has now been converted into a private house.
On the top of the hill accessed from either end of the village is a series of large houses and mansions.
There are several fruit farms and orchards in the village, some operating commercially and some in the gardens of private houses (owners will often sell their fruit when it is in season). The south-facing slopes on the north side of the B3130 make this a good area for horticulture, and is the site of the Limebreach Wood nature reserve. To the south of the B3130 is a large area of flat pasture less than five metres above sea level, known as Tickenham Moor, which is part of the Tickenham, Nailsea and Kenn Moors Site of Special Scientific Interest. This is mainly used for dairy farming.
Now incorporating an area of protected limestone grassland home to many uncommon and endangered species, the ridge previously supported small-scale commercial limestone quarries, evidence of which remains. Several now derelict lime kilns give testament to this forgotten industry.
A small river, the Land Yeo, flows through the parish.
Tickenham Court (now a farm) contains a complete hall of around 1400 and parlour/solar wing of 1500 added to the west wing.
Tickenham Court was the home of Lady Eleanor Glanville, the 17th-century entomologist. The Glanville fritillary butterfly is named after her.
The farm was used by the Home Guard for five years during the war and left in an almost derelict condition. During the second part of the 20th century the estate was farmed by agronomist Dr William Plant whose wife Ruth was an architect who restored the property.
The M5 motorway runs on the northern side of Tickenham Hill. The noise of the motorway is mostly muffled by the hill and woodland. Where the M5 cuts through the hill in a man made valley, there is a footbridge connecting either side of the hill.
The small village primary school usually has around 80 pupils from the locality.
The parish Church of St Quiricus and St Julietta has 11th-century origins, with the nave and chancel being extended by the addition of aisles and the south chapel in the early 13th century. It has been designated as a Grade-I listed building.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- "2011 Census Profile" (Excel). North Somerset Council. Archived from the original on 4 January 2014. https://web.archive.org/web/20140104204530/http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Environment/Planning_policy_and-research/researchandmonitoring/Documents/North%20Somerset%20Small%20area%20geography%20profiles%20tool.xls. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- Bodman, Martin. "Mills on the Land Yeo". Nailsea and District Local History Society. http://somersetrivers.org/PDF/MillsOnTheLandYeo.pdf. Retrieved 28 April 2011.
- "The Court". Images of England. English Heritage. http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=33758. Retrieved 2009-03-08.
- "Church of St. Quiricus and St. Julietta". Images of England. English Heritage. http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=33759. Retrieved 2009-03-08.