Sign at the former Trekkers centre
History and amenities
The village developed initially through settlement on waste land, principally by workers in paper mills in Whitebrook in the nineteenth century. In the 1920s, land was offered for sale by the owner, the Marquis of Worcester, and development continued on a sporadic basis until the late twentieth century. Old cottages were refurbished and many new, larger houses were built. The village is now popular with commuters.
A village school opened in 1910, but closed later in the century. The Trekkers opened in the early 1970s as a trekking centre, and operated as a private members' club until 1984; thereafter it was run as a pub, housed in a log cabin, until it closed in 2004. Community activity is now centred on the village hall.