Bridge over the River Frome
|Somerton and Frome|
Tellisford is a village and parish in Somerset, standing on the banks of the River Frome in the Mendip Hills. It is six miles north-east of the town of Frome. The civil parish incorporates the ancient parish of Woolverton as well as that of Tellisford itself.
There is a weir on the Frome here, and an Environment Agency monitoring station in the village. The bridge, which dates from the 17th century, is a Grade-II listed building.
Tellisford Mill on the river is a water mill recently converted to hydroelectric power generation.
Tellisford is one of the Thankful Villages which lost no men in the Great War.
The Church of All Saints dates from the 12th century and is Grade-II listed.
William Parry was the rector from 1712 until his resignation in 1715.
The Church of St Lawrence in Woolverton dates from the 14th century.
The village was known as Tefleford in 1001 and Tablesford in 1086 meaning Theabul's ford or ford at a flat place.
The manor was acquired by the Hungerfords of Farleigh Hungerford in the early 15th century who used the fulling mill to endow their chantry chapel. The cloth making industry continued until 1911. It was largely destroyed by a serious fire in 1785.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- Somerset Hundreds – GENUKI
- National Heritage List England no. 1180360: Bridge over River Frome at Tellisford (Historic England)
- National Heritage List England no. 1344982: Church of All Saints (Historic England)
- Cooper, Thompson (2004). "Parry, William (bap. 1687, d. 1756)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online edition, subscription access). Oxford University Press. http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/21439. Retrieved 24 April 2008.
- National Heritage List England no. 1176241: Church of St. Lawrence (Historic England)
- Bush, Robin (1994). Somerset: The Complete Guide. Dovecote Press. pp. 206. ISBN 1-874336-26-1.