The Village Shop, and The Talaton Inn
Talaton is a village in eastern Devon, placed some six miles west of Honiton, three miles north of Ottery St Mary, two miles to the west of Feniton and two miles east of Whimple. The little River Tale, a tributary of the River Otter, runs through the parish, a mile east of the village itself.
The population of the parish of Talaton was estimated to be 590 in 2012.
The village is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Taleton; the name means 'farmstead on the [River] Tale', The Tale's name in turn is derived from the Old English word getæl meaning 'quick, active or swift'.
The village has a public house, the Talaton Inn; a manor house, Talaton House; a church, St James the Great, and a village hall. There are a number of listed buildings within the village and a number of thatched cottages. There is also a shop within the village which is a community enterprise and has won a Prince of Wales award recognising its contribution to the community.
About the village
- Escot, home of the Kennaway baronets
- Escot Park
- Talaton Inn
- Talaton Escot Circular Walk
- Church of St James the Great, Talaton
On Spring Bank Holiday weekend the village has an open gardens weekend raising funds for the church.
On the first weekend in June there is a village day which is effectively the village fayre. The village day starts with the Talaton Trotter, a 6.5 mile cross country race.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|