|Council:||Newry, Mourne and Down|
The village has a small harbour, which is overlooked by rows of 19th-century cottages and a fine Georgian terrace.
The name of the village is from the Old Norse Strangr-fjorðr, menaing "strong fjord", referring to the Lough.
In 1637 the Surveyor General of Customs issued a report compiled from accounts of customs due from each port and their "subsidiary creeks". Of the Ulster ports on the list, Carrickfergus was first, followed by Bangor, Donaghadee, and Strangford.
In and about the village
- Strangford Castle, located near the harbour in Strangford, is a 16th-century tower house with a drop hole at roof level to defend the door.
- Castle Ward is an intriguing mansion built in 1760 in two distinct architectural styles, classical]] and gothic, overlooking Strangford Lough. The property is owned by the National Trust. Castleward is seven miles from Downpatrick and one-and-one-half miles from Strangford.
- Audley's Castle is a 15th-century castle located one mile northeast of Strangford, on a rocky height overlooking Strangford Lough[ J5781 5058].
- Audleystown Court Cairn is a dual court grave situated near the south shore of Strangford Lough, north-west of Castle Ward, 1¾ miles from Strangford ([ 562 504]).
- O'Sullivan, Aidan & Breen, Colin (2007). Maritime Ireland — An Archaeology of Coastal Communities. Stroud: Tempus. p. 212. ISBN 978-0-7524-2509-2.
- Department of the Environment for Northern Ireland (1983). Historic Monuments of Northern Ireland. Belfast: HMSO. pp. 97–98.
- Department of the Environment for Northern Ireland (1983). Historic Monuments of Northern Ireland. Belfast: HMSO. p. 88.