Stapenhill approaching from the south
|Post town:||Burton on Trent|
Stapenhill is a village and parish in Derbyshire that forms a suburb of Burton upon Trent in neighbouring Staffordshire. It was a small village owned by Nigel of Stafford as far back as 1086, however this ancient parish area has long since been surrounded by new housing developments. Stapenhill was known for its brickyards in the 18th and 19th centuries, with local industry and employment today dominated by the Long Street shed works.
Several major music festivals take place every summer at Catton Hall, on the outskirts of the village.
Stapenhill Gardens is the epitome of Stapenhill. Its main feature is a giant artificial swan with all flowers planted in it. This represents the swans who have historically inhabited the Gardens, and also the wider immutability of life in general. Similarly, the local football team is Stapenhill Swans. Stapenhill Gardens is also the location of the annual "Tulip Festival", an event unrivalled outside The Netherlands
Current and former pubs and bars in the area include The Copper Hearth (now a supermarket), The New Inn, The Punch Bowl (now a care home), The Barley Mow (new home of the BIS), The Crown, The Grove, The Dart, The Freehold Tavern (now a Chinese restaurant), The Plough, and The Elms.
The Church of England parish church is St Peter's.
- Domesday Book: A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 2003. ISBN 0-14-143994-7 p.1406