Sprouston Parish Church
Roxburgh and Selkirk
The village is close to the south bank of the river Tweed (200 yards away), which forms the northern boundary of the parish and the border with Berwickshire in the very north-east. The eastern border of the parish is also the border with the parish of Carham and county of Northumberland. The parish of Linton borders Sprouston to the south and the parishes of Eckford and Kelso to the west. The parish forms a rough square shape about four miles across  and has an area of 8,637 acres 
Sprouston Kirk, completed in 1781, is a replica of an older (12th-century) building which was sited nearby.
Lempitlaw is a hamlet in the southern part of the parish and was formerly a parish itself, the remains of its church being visible up to the late 18th century. In the 19th century it was a barony in the possession of the Duke of Buccleuch, while the remaining area, the original parish of Sprouston, belonged to the Duke of Roxburghe, whose seat is at Floors Castle nearby.
- Survey Gazetteer of the British Isles, publ. J.G. Bartholomew, 1904, p. 746
- New Statistical Account of Scotland, Vol III Roxburgh, Peebles, Selkirk, publ.William Blackwood, 1845 pp.235-240
- Church of Scotland web site: http://www.kelsolinkedchurchescofs.org/sproutston-history retrieved Feb 2014
This Roxburghshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.