Shire Hall, Newport
The Shire Hall is a building in Newport, Monmouthshire which served as the County Hall for Monmouthshire until the Monmouth County Council was wound up in 1974. It continued to be used as local government headquarters until 1978 and has subsequently been converted for residential use. The current buildings were erected in 1902 and extended in 1913, adding the top storey to the Shire Hall and adjoining Queen's Chambers. The buildings have been Grade-II listed since 1998 in recognition of their historic and architectural qualities. The Shire Hall has been described by conservationists Cadw as an impressively-designed Edwardian civic building.
In 2013 Newport City Council approved the change of use of Shire hall into apartments. The four-storey building was subsequently converted into 11 one-bedroom apartments and seven two-bedroom flats with a reception area and a bicycle storage area.
- Buildings Listed for their Architectural and / or historic interest in the City of Newport, 2005-02-17
- Change of use of Shire Hall, Pentonville, Newport to 19 self contained flats
- Shire Hall, Newport
- Wikishire map: 51°35’26"N, 3°0’2"W