|Built 15th century|
|Owned by:||Heritage Ireland|
Roodstown Castle is a 15th-century tower house in County Louth.
Today the castle is in state care and it is noted as a 'national monument'.
Roodstown Castle was built in the 15th century, standing at a strategic point between the River Glyde, River Dee, Ardee and the Irish Sea. It is similar to, although taller than, the ten-pound castles built under King Henry VI. It is locally associated with the Taaffe family.
Roodstown Castle is a rectangular tower house of four storeys with small turrets at diagonally opposed corner: a spiral stairway in the south-east and garderobes in the north-west.
The castle contained a vaulted ground-floor cellar or storage space, a murder-hole, a crenellated parapet, chemin de ronde.
- Archer, Lucy; Smith, Edwin (1 January 1999). "Architecture in Britain and Ireland, 600-1500". Harvill Press. https://books.google.ie/books?id=_flPAAAAMAAJ&dq=Roodstown%20Castle&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=Roodstown.
- Friar, Stephen (1 January 2003). "The Sutton Companion to Castles". Sutton. https://books.google.ie/books?id=I_cVAQAAIAAJ&dq=Roodstown%20Castle&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=Roodstown.
- "The Schools’ Collection » Stabannon, Castlebellingham". http://www.duchas.ie/en/cbes/5008856/4961293.
- "Ardee - Roodstown Castle". http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/environment-geography/physical-landscape/louth-louthiana/louthiana-archaeological-/ardee-roodstown-castle/.
- "Roodstown Castle, Louth". http://www.megalithicireland.com/Roodstown%20Castle.html.
- "Roodstown Castle". http://irishantiquities.bravehost.com/louth/roodstown/roodstown.html.
- "Roodstown Castle, County Louth". http://www.irelandseye.com/aarticles/travel/attractions/castles/Louth/roodstown.shtm.
- "Roodstown Castle". http://historicsitesofireland.blogspot.ie/2015/04/roodstown-castle.html.
- Crowl, Philip Axtell (1 January 1990). "The Intelligent Traveller's Guide to Historic Ireland". Contemporary Books. https://books.google.ie/books?id=hKGfAAAAMAAJ&dq=Roodstown%20Castle&focus=searchwithinvolume&q=Roodstown.
- "Great Britain and Ireland, a Phaidon Cultural Guide". Prentice-Hall. 1 January 1985. https://books.google.ie/books?id=LZ9HAQAAIAAJ&q=Roodstown%20Castle&dq=Roodstown%20Castle&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_wcfNmJnPAhWJOsAKHZ-dDcAQ6AEIPzAH.