A street in Porkellis
The village has a pub (The Star Inn), Methodist chapel, village hall and primary school.
Porkellis has two chapels, both of which are Grade II listed. The original chapel was built in 1814, whereas the later Wesleyan chapel was bigger and built in 1866 alongside the older one. When the latter chapel was built the original was converted into a schoolroom. Services now take place in the earlier Trinity Chapel as the state of the Wesleyan chapel is deteriorating.
The village also had a church, St Christopher's, which was built in the 19th-century, and was a chapel of ease in the parish of Carnmenellis. It closed in the 1970s and is now used as the village hall.
Porkellis Moor is an extensive area of marsh near the village, which was once used for mining, mainly for tin, and engine houses and other industrial buildings remain. The Porkellis China Clay Works attempted to extract china clay, over a period of three years, spending approximately £3,000. However debts mounted and eventually the Sheriff of Cornwall exercised issued a writ of fieri facias and the goods of the company was sold, by auction for a small amount on 28 April 1879,
The moor forms part of 'West Cornwall Bryophytes Site of Special Scientific Interest.
- "Wendron mines and sites". Cornwall & Scilly Historic Environment Service. http://www.cornish-mining.org.uk/sites/wndrnmns.htm. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- Wendron Parish Council
- "Porkellis China Clay Works". The Cornishman (42): p. 5. 1 May 1879.
- SSSI listing and designation for West Cornwall Bryophytes