West Plenmeller Farm
The village lies just to the south of the A69 road as it bypasses Haltwhistle. The road is a major road running east-west across the Pennines, linking the two cities of Newcastle upon Tyne in Northumberland with Carlisle in Cumberland.
Coal mining dominated the history of the area in recent times. Employment at Plenmeller colliery reached its peak in the early 1920s. When the colliery closed in 1932 it caused widespread hardship in the area. More recently coal has been extracted by open cast methods on Plenmeller Common and land then returned to a more natural landscape. RPC Containers Ltd., manufacturers of blow-moulded plastic containers, now operate from the site of the old colliery.
The old Penmeller Halt on the Haltwhistle to Alston line was opened in 1919 to serve the colliery. The halt closed in the 1960s and has been demolished. The village is now served by Haltwhistle railway station on the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, also known as the Tyne Valley Line, a line opened in 1838 to links Newcastle upon Tyne with Carlisle.
About the village
Unthank Hall is a Grade II listed mansion house, now serving as commercial offices, situated on the southern bank of the River South Tyne. The house, which was built in the 16th century, incorporating an ancient Pele tower, was substantially remodelled and extended in 1815. The Hall was later rebuilt between 1862 and 1865. Much of the 1865 house has since between demolished and only the central gables and entrance porch survive.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
- see information: http://www.dmm.org.uk/colliery/p019.htm
- see information http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/p/plenmeller_halt/index.shtml (accessed 6.1.2014)