Nant Terrace, Pentraeth
Pentraeth is a village on the island of Anglesey, near Red Wharf Bay. Its name appropriately means "Beach Head". There is a small river, Afon Nodwydd which runs through it. The village's ancient name was Llanfair Betws Geraint. In 1170 it was the site of a battle when Hywel ab Owain Gwynedd landed with an army raised in Ireland in an attempt to claim a share of the kingdom of Gwynedd following the death of his father Owain Gwynedd. He was defeated and killed here by the forces of his half-brothers Dafydd ab Owain Gwynedd and Rhodri.
In 1859, Charles Dickens stayed in the village on his trip, as a journalist for The Times, to visit the wreck of the Royal Charter in Moelfre. Between 1908 and 1950 it was served by Pentraeth railway station, on the Red Wharf Bay branch line.
The village has a football side, Pentraeth FC.
St Mary's Church
St Mary's Church is the village church. The date of construction is unknown, but is probably from some time between the 12th to 14th centuries. Some mediæval stonework remains in three walls of the building. A chapel was added to the south side in the 16th or 17th century, and the church was altered and refurbished during the 19th century.
The church retains its central place in village life within the Church in Wales, and is one of five churches in a combined parish. It is a Grade II listed building in particular because of the retention of mediæval fabric in a predominately 19th-century building, and its "fine" memorials.
- Pictures of Pentraeth and the area on Geograph.co.uk
- Hughes, Harold (1908). Merddyn Gwyn Barrow, Pentraeth. "Archaeologia cambrensis". Archaeologia Cambrensis. Sixth Series (London: Chas. J. Clark) VIII: 211–220.