Sunningwell Road, New Hinksey
|Oxford West and Abingdon|
The suburb is west of the Abingdon Road (A4144). To the north is Grandpont and to the east, over Donnington Bridge, which crosses the River Thames, is Cowley. To the west is the railway line between Oxford and Didcot Parkway and beyond that Hinksey Stream, a branch off the River Thames.
The original parish church of Saint John the Evangelist was designed by the Gothic Revival architect EG Bruton and built in 1870, as the village had been founded and was beginning to grow but before it was so comprehensively swallowed up in the cross-border growth of industrial Oxford. In 1900 it was demolished and replaced by one designed by the architects William Bucknall and Ninian Comper.
The suburb of New Hinksey was founded and developed in the 19th century within the chapelry and civil parish of South Hinksey. It was a new village: until then the area was covered by water meadows. New Hinksey was included in the boundaries of the City of Oxford in 1889. It remained in the ecclesiastical parish of South Hinksey, which is now called the parish of South with New Hinksey.
- Sherwood & Pevsner, 1974, page 335
- The Church of England: St John the Evangelist, Oxford
Sources and further reading
- Crossley, Alan; Elrington, C.R. (eds.); Eleanor Chance, Christina Colvin, Janet Cooper, C.J. Day, T.G. Hassall, Nesta Selwyn (1979). Victoria County History: A History of the County of Oxford, Volume 4.
- Page, William; Ditchfield, P.H., eds (1924). Victoria County History: A History of the County of Berkshire, Volume 4. pp. 408–410.
- Sherwood, Jennifer; Pevsner, Nikolaus (1974). Pevsner Architectural Guides#Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. pp. 335. ISBN 0 14 071045 0.