Mugdrum seen from Carpow Hill, Fife
|Highest point:||13 ft|
Mugdrum is low-lying and reedy, with the "North Deep" and "South Deep" channels on either side of the island. It covers an area of 32 acres.
Mugdrum's name is from muc-dhruim, the Gaelic for hog-back. However, this was applied to the coast opposite, which part it was named for.
The reeds were once harvested for thatching and for protecting potatoes during transshipment. Until 1926, a 50-acre farm grew cereals, potatoes and turnips in the island's alluvial soil. It is now a nature reserve under the stewardship of the Tay Valley Wildfowlers' Association.
The Laing Museum in Newburgh preserves the stuffed body of a two-headed kitten born in the 19th century on Mugdrum.
- "Historical perspective for Mugdrum Island". Gazetteer for Scotland. http://www.scottish-places.info/features/featurehistory1607.html. Retrieved 2008-10-05.
| ("Wikimedia Commons" has material|
This Perthshire article is a stub: help to improve Wikishire by building it up.