Church on Bogwood Road, Mayfield
This housing development was built, in the 1950s, as overspill accommodation for the colliery workers of nearby Newtongrange and Easthouses and for other essential workers, as well as to house the workforce for a small but relatively successful industrial estate. The decline of the coal industry in the 1980s led to the closure of the collieries.
The massive growth in population in this part of Newbattle parish in the 1950s led to the existing mining village of Easthouses being virtually 'swallowed up' into the new housing development of Mayfield, which today has a population similar to that of a small town.
Parish kirk and community
With the communities of Mayfield and Easthouses ever expanding, in 1955 the Church of Scotland had an additional church erected within Newbattle parish.
Mayfield and Easthouses Church was built in a more utilitarian and functional style than the 18th century building at Newbattle, as it had to double as both a place of worship and a place where the various church and other organisations, for example the Boys Brigade (with Anchor Boys), Girls Brigade, Cubs, Scouts, and Brownies, could establish themselves.