Mallwyd is a small village at the most southern end of Merionethshire close to the border with Montgomeryshire in the valley of the River Dovey. It lies on the A470 road approximately half-way between Dolgellau and Machynlleth, and forms the junction of the A458 towards Welshpool. Nearby villages are Dinas Mawddwy, two miles to the north, and Aberangell to the south. The River Dugoed flows into the River Dovey near the village.
The village was formerly named 'Tre'r llan', situated in the parish of Mallwyd in the district of Mawddwy. This was the region of the Red Bandits of Mawddwy, which is remembered in the village pub, The Brigands.
According to tradition, Mallwyd church was founded in the 6th century by St Tydecho after he came to the area from Cornwall. The present building dates from the 14th century and is unusual in form, being long and narrow with a balcony at each end. There are many wooden fixtures dating from the 17th century. The scholar John Davies was rector of Mallwyd for 40 years at the beginning of the 17th century. There is a memorial to him in the church which was put up to commemorate the 200th anniversary of his death. Outside the church are several great yew trees.
- John Davies — scholar, Rector of Mallwyd 1604-44 (c. 1567–1644)
- Richard Davies — bard and critic (1830–1904)
- David Jones — musician (1836–1878)
- John Rice Jones — American jurist and politician (1759–1824)